Thursday, April 17, 2008

Owner Profile: leppykahn

We all know Leppykahn as the fearless commissioner of our beloved world. His record with the Colorado Blasters is impeccable putting up 100+ win seasons every year, except season 1, and he's on pace to do it again this season. Plus he has those two little World Series Championships to his name. He's also the commissioner of the Bo Jackson World and plays in 6 others (with another WS in Joey Belle). Clearly, he's not married.

Below, Leppy claims to be in Mensa but I'm skeptical. He can't be very smart if he agreed to answer my dumb questions, right? Decide for yourselves.

Is leppykahn your real name?
Yes, it is. Leppy D. Kahn. The D is for danger. Actually, my name is RJ. My user name is basically a combination of genetic background (Scotch, Irish) and my love of the mongols/conquering (Genghis). I think a little part of me hopes that every time someone sees it, they picture a leprechaun burning villages to the ground.

What are your vitals?
I'm about to turn the big 30 in June. Have been living in San Diego for about 4 years now. I have yet to be baited into marriage. Currently I'm working in computers (non interesting stuff), but have an idea to start my own company soon, could be big. I went to college at University of Nevada (Reno). I grew up in central Nevada. You might ask, what's in central Nevada? The answer, not much.

What are your favorite real-life sports teams or players?
I'm kind of a transplant of several places, and picked up teams as I went along. Love the A's, Diamondbacks, Padres, Suns, Raiders...It's funny how the locals hate Raider fans so, talking about some stabbing that happened years ago at a single game. My favorite player ever is Bo Jackson (hence the name of the other world I commish). Some of the others are Barry Sanders, Reggie Miller, Shaq, and of course, Kevin Johnson. An aunt of mine used to work for the Suns back in the day, and got me hooked on them. I have an autographed card around here somewhere. Hopefully this is the year for them!

Why WIS?
I heard about Gridiron Dynasty, and came by to check it out, only to find out that I'd already set up a user name and forgotten about it. Then, when HBD started, you'd have a hard time keeping me away. I've always fancied myself as a coach/scout/general manager, and the ability to do that in a baseball game really appealed to me.

Why did you create Hunter? Why do you stay?
I was trying to keep with the "last name of hall of famer" thing when I created it, and chose someone who I always respected. I stay because it's so fun to beat you all down season after season. When it comes down to it, this is probably my favorite team of all of them that I have, not coincidentally, it's also my first team.

How on earth do you manage 8 teams?
It gets a little difficult at times...like not having a good notification of when the draft pool is up and/or ready...I've missed a few of those. But, for the most part, I check every cycle, and the maintenance isn't too bad. My teams run pretty similarly, and I'm patient with my players unless I'm expecting them to do better than they are, and then I shuffle it up a bit. It's not so bad when the computer manages your minors.

Is there a team in Hunter you especially love to beat (or hate to lose to)?
Not really, I've been on the top so long, it's hard to form a rivalry. Nobody has consistently taken me out that I note. In other worlds, I have some rivalries, but the NL has 4-5 good teams a season, that we all take turns beating each other up.

What was your favorite (or least favorite) trade or transaction in Hunter?
My least favorite trade is easily the Andruw Allen for T.J Croushere trade in Season 5. I guess we all know the back story on that one, where bearclaws wanted an ace, and picked out Croushere to request. Later, after everyone threw a fit, I gave him Allen straight up for Croushere.

What's the deal with your team nickname?
We (the Colorado management) wanted something to demonstrate how many homeruns we were intending to hit.

When you aren't WISing, what do you do?
Video games, manage an adult kickball league (www.kickball.com), have an active role in Mensa. Other than that, I do a lot of things, spend a lot of time at the beach, love bowling, gambling, fantasy sports, video games, painting, pet projects, etc. Kind of silly I know, but I don't think I've turned on my TV other than to play video games or watch a sporting event for at least 2 years. I also don't really read, it tends to seem like a waste of time to me. Musically, I'm very diverse, even play a little bit.

Editor's Note: When you ask people for pictures of themselves, you must be prepared for what they might send.

No comments: